Okay, so first of all, I will tell the story on how Paul and I got engaged. Before I get into it, I will give a little bit of "background info" on myself and Paul.
I am not a native of the northeastern side of the country. I was born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana (the cornfield state)...we didn't really get THAT much snow or anything, and I had never been to NYC until we moved when I was 12 to Dingmans Ferry, PA.
Paul, however, was born and raised in Mineola, LI then moved to Milford, PA with his family.
Okay, so this is how the story goes.
Paul and I chose the rings together. We were at the Rockaway Mall in New Jersey with a friend of ours (Vince). Paul collects movie posters (the big ones you can buy at FYE).
We went into FYE to see if they had any of the movie posters for The Dark Knight, they had two, so Paul bought both of them, one for him, one for Vince.
Well, Paul was going to take it to the framing place, to have it professionally framed in the mall.
As we were walking back, Whitehall Jewelers was on the corner and since they were going out of business, they were having some really amazing sales.
We were just looking until I found a set that I absolutely adored! It was originally like $2,100 for the set, but they were on sale for $480 and an extra 10% off.
The kicker was, the set didn't have the groom's band to match so I found a band for Paul that looked amazing with the set that I wanted..his band was originally like $800 but on sale for $280.
Both of us were pretty excited about it, but we decided that we didn't have the money right now, but would try to come back later...and it was killing me.
So Paul tried to make it up to me..and Vince..lol..by taking us to Starbucks downstairs in the mall. As Vince and I were walking, Paul randomly says, "Vince, you want me to put your poster in my car so it doesn't get wrinkled?" So of course, I know he is going to go get the rings.
I explain this to Vince because he was completely shocked that Paul was being so nice..lol
When he came back, he hugged me then told me he couldn't get the rings because they didn't accept checks. I was definitely bummed.
We went home, I was a little upset, but I was trying to seem upbeat about the whole thing.
Needless to say (I didn't find out this next part until after he proposed), the next day I had an 8a.m. class and 3 others after until 1:30 in the afternoon.
When Paul woke up, he talked to my parents to see if they wanted to go with him to pick up the rings.
He got up, showered, got dressed, drove back to Rockaway, bought the rings, came back, put on his pj's, scruffed himself up, so that way when I got home it had seemed like he hadn't done anything all day (Mind you, he does work, he is a wedding DJ, so he only works on the weekends).
So I had no idea he bought the rings.
A few months roll by, and my friend Heather knew, so every time we would go to the mall together we would get jewelry magazines and would flaunt the $10,000 wedding sets to Paul to make fun of him. Of course, I didn't know..lol.
Around Nov. 9th, Paul had brought up a trip to NYC, the plans fell through because of crappy weather, so we planned for another time. We had decided to go on November 18th instead.
It was nice...but freezing!
We first decided to go to the Central Park Zoo because I had never been there before, and that was amazing in itself. Then after we got lunch, we went on the horse and buggy ride through central park.
After that, we had Starbucks (Mmm hot chocolate!).
Then we started walking to the Empire State Building where Paul has never been...he was there, but never been to the top (86th floor).
We get to the top and it was FREEZING..the wind was horrible..lol..Needless to say at that point, we walked around, took a few pictures, and that was that.
So we decided that it was then time to take another hot chocolate break. Now, I don't know what I did, but I must have pulled a muscle in my back, so my back was hurting the entire day. I couldn't sit comfortably at all.
At our second trip to Starbucks, Paul had tossed the idea at me of ice skating..I said I wasn't up to it, seeing as how I had never ice skated before...because in Indiana we don't do it..lol.
I didn't want to fall and deal with more pain.
Especially because later on that evening we were supposed to meet my parents at the Plaza for dinner (they work on Wallstreet).
So Paul and I decided to kill time by going into the little mall that is right next to the ice rink. We went to Auntie Anne's for pretzels and sat down in their little food court when my cell phone rang.
It was mom.
She called and did the same old small talk before something big comes up....
She asks," So are you guys going to go ice skating?"
I said, "No, I pulled a muscle in my back and it's killing me, last thing I want to do is fall on a hard sheet of ice."
She blows up. "Kristin, he has done everything for you today, I think that you should just humor him and ice skate if that is what he wants to do."
Red Flag.
It just got to the point where I didn't want to argue anymore, but at this point I'm sitting there thinking: When has my mother ever made me do something that could involve me possibly breaking a bone?
So I get frustrated and get off the phone with her, and I look at Paul and say, you know what, if you want to ice skate, we'll go ice skating.
Paul tries to be the gentle nice person: Noo, if you aren't feeling up to it...
And I cut him off..lol.
Paul, I said we will go ice skating.
So we go rent the skates and I realize I have an hour to kill before we meet my parents...I'm thinking, Dear God I am going to die on these things.
I make it out onto the ice and I am scared to death! I was holding on to the wall, I almost slip and take out Paul's thigh with the ice skates...I am a disaster with blades on my feet.
My feet were hurting, and I'm scooting across the ice, and after like 2 times around the rink, I need a break.
It took me 20 minutes for 2 laps. It was sad.
I'm sitting there trying to kill time until my parents get there.
2 more mintues...2 more minutes..I keep telling Paul.
Finally it is about 15 minutes until my parents get there, so I go back out on the ice so they can see me ice scooting and I make one full lap, then I see my parents and plan on doing one more.
Paul stops me at Center Ice right in front of where the Christmas tree was being put up.
He tells me that since I have made so many sacrifices for him not just today but in our relationship, he thinks that he owes one to me, and he pulled out the box with the ring in it.
He opened the box, got on his knee...by this time I'm crying 60% because my feet are killing me and 40% out of excitement...and he asks will you marry me, and of course, I said yes.
He put the ring on my finger we hug and kiss, while I'm still holding on to the banister...and it shows.
He said the kicker is, you have to skate the rest of the way around the ice rink to go get your skates off...and I call him an asshole.
I get to the exit and my mom is crying and asking if I'm happy and all I can think of to say is...It'll be better when I get these damn things off!
As we're walking to get on the ferry to Jersey, Paul looks at me and says, and I don't care if you ever put on a pair of ice skates again...
And I stop in the middle of the sidewalk and practically yell, Are you serious?!?
That was the icing on the cake.
So there is the story.
NOW, as for today, I haven't really eaten much...I haven't really been that hungry...
Breakfast:
1 packet of Weight Control Oatmeal : 130 cal
No Snack
Lunch: Probably Saladworks in the mall.
Snack: M&Ms: 10...:42 cal I think it is.
Dinner: Up in the air...We're going to a friend's house since Paul has a wedding consultation at 6 tonight.
Okay I need to go get ready.
Hope you enjoyed the story!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Aaww that is such a cute story and one you two will never forget! =) Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete